Wednesday, November 11, 2015

Give 52 Week 14 - Child of My Heart. Sweetface.

Sweetface
Give 52 Week 14
Cheryl Houston 2015
The Give 52 Project has me realizing that I have a thing for authors.

I love diving into a book and really feel like I'm learning something new. Or finishing a book that has inspired me to change my way of thinking and/or taking steps for improvement.

This quest of Give 52, for example, is inspired by Chris Guillebeau's, The Happiness of Pursuit.

Austin Kleon is another one of those authors. His books Steal Like an Artist and Show Your Work  have shaped this project of mine. For example, Chapter 6: The Secret: Do Good Work and Share it with People. Uh, hello? Give 52 is all about me attempting to do good work and sharing with people.

I read Austin's books in 2014 during my Year of Purpose. I was struggling with feeling like my job and my art had no purpose. His books have helped shape my routines of being creative and have opened my mind to new possibilities. Austin's books give artists the permission and validation we need along with some really helpful advice in creating your work. I don't know why artists struggle so much with needing permission and validation but I find it to be so true.

My husband thanks you for the advice- keep your day job.

I follow Austin on Instagram and he has two sweetfaced boys which I totally love. They make me miss that time with my own boys. This piece is similar to the work Austin does with blackout poems and the little boy kind of reminds me of his boys.

This piece is a little different than other pieces I've created here and was started in an online class I took with Lynn Whipple called Word Play. We created art in books. I was skeptical about drawing in books at first but now no book- new or old- is safe from my paints.

Austin has a new book out called Steal Like an Artist Journal and it's a lot of fun. If you're looking for inspiration for creativity check out all of his books. You won't regret it. Thank you, Austin!

This is my gift. I give it to you.







No comments:

Post a Comment