Wednesday, January 20, 2016

Give 52 Week 24 - You are Magic

Give 52 Week 24
Cheryl Houston 2016
I knew from the beginning of Give 52 I wanted to send a piece of artwork to author, Elizabeth Gilbert. But what? What do you send the person that is so magical that every time you hear her speak you think she's speaking directly to you?

I can't decide if this drawing is a hit or a miss. It's not my usual style and while I have been influenced by Jean-Michel Basquiat lately, this is no where as cool as his crazy, bizarre and wonderful drawings but it is mine and it comes from my heart.

Like most people, I first discovered Ms. Gilbert through her book, Eat, Pray, Love which I loved. Then, I listened to her TedTalk about your creative genius and it gave me courage to pursue my art further. Then, in 2014 I saw her in a 4:47 clip from Oprah's Live the Life you Want weekend tour where she spoke about following your curiosity when you don't know what your passion is. It was a freeing moment for me.

I named 2015 my Year of Curiosity and in that year it led me to my passion and my purpose which I knew all along but I realized was I wasn't nurturing it. I read her book Big Magic in the fall. More nurturing of this artist life that I want to live. On the last day of my Year of Curiosity, I was scrolling through Facebook where I saw a posting of Ms. Gilbert's talk titled The Flight of the Hummingbird. I can't even summarize for you with any justice. All I can say is: WOW! This woman has a magical window into the soul of my life and every time I hear her, it's exactly what I need to hear.

I know I'm not alone in this feeling. She is a Super Hero to so many women out there. She brings light to the world. Serious girl crush going on here. I'm beyond excited  to see her speak in May in Dallas! Can't wait.

This is my gift. I give it to you.
Give 52 Week 24 Part 2
Cheryl Houston 2016

Update: This is me not being brave. I love the above piece that I'm still in possession of but will be mailing off today. I say it's me not being brave because I'm including an additional flower piece.

Why?

Because it's not my normal style and maybe I'm afraid she won't like it and I want her to have something that I think she will like but I don't really know Liz Gilbert so how do I know what she's going to like!

No matter. I've decided. She gets 2 pieces because I'm not brave and because I want to.

There. The end. My decision. Don't judge me!

No comments:

Post a Comment