Wednesday, December 2, 2015

Give 52 Week 17 - Birthday Flowers for My Aunt Sue Beth

Give 52 Week 17
Cheryl Houston 2015
Do you know how you just know someone loves you? You just always feel their love?

That's how I feel about my aunt Sue Beth.

Growing up, I got to spend my holidays with her and summer trips to see her and so on.

One of my favorite childhood memories is of a time when my mom and I went over to visit my aunt, uncle, family and friends at a house they were renting in Rockport, TX. I wasn't ready to go when my mom had to leave so my aunt said I could say. All I had with me was my bathing suit, a pair of shorts, a t-shirt and flip flops but I had all I needed.

I don't remember  how many nights I stayed with them but I do remember we got up early one morning, I wore someone else's shoes and we went crabbing. We were able to just scoop up crabs in hand held nets and scooped them into the ice chests. It was amazing.

Afterwards, one of the teenage girls staying with them and I cleaned the crabs and got them ready for dinner. Too bad I was such a picky eater back them and I didn't eat any of it.

That's just one of many memories of times with my aunt Sue Beth and her family. I loved when I got older she would say, "Okay, Cheryl, I've had my two drinks now I can ask you about your love life." She doesn't have any daughters of her own but I have always been her girl.

I always look forward to seeing her though those times are few and far between.

Chris and I got married on her birthday 3 years ago this December 8th. I didn't plan to get married on her birthday it just happened it that way but I love something special on the same day.

Happy Birthday early, Aunt Sue Beth!

This is my gift. I give it to you.


No comments:

Post a Comment